Resources & Links
The veterinary resources featured on this page provide useful information to pet owners on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care.
Main Street Veterinary Hospital supports local shelters with spaying and neutering as well as spreading the word about adoption. If you are looking to adopt a new companion, please contact one of the following shelters:
- Purr-fect Cat Shelter (Millis) — Call 508-533-5855
- Never Give Up Animal Rescue (Milford)
- Medfield Animal Shelter (Medfield) — Call 508-359-8989
- Neponset Valley Humane Society (Norwood) — Call 781-769-1990
Animal Breed Associations
- American Kennel Club
- Cat Fanciers' Association — The Cat Fanciers' Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
Pet Grief Support
- Rainbow Bridge — Anyone who has ever lost a pet should visit this wonderful site. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members.
- Tufts University Pet Loss Support Hotline
Pet Insurance / Payment Options
Pet health insurance helps you pay your veterinary bills for your companion animal, so you never have to choose between pet care needs and your personal finances. The following is a list of pet health insurance providers. Research is the best way to find the right provider and plan for you and your pet.
- ASPCA Pet Health Insurance — Call 866-230-4259
- Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation — Call 800-453-4054
Pet Poison Control
Pet Owner Resources
- Behavior Problems — Founded by Brian Kilcommons and Sharon Wilson, best-selling authors and recognized experts on animal training and behavior, this site is a terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems. If you want to learn more about feline housesoiling, barking dogs, aggression, or any other behavioral problem, check this one out!
- Choosing a New Puppy — This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy.
- Cornell Feline Health Center — Information on feline health issues, latest research into feline-related topics and internet resources for cat owners can be found on this website sponsored by Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Pet Diabetes — If your pet has been diagnosed with diabetes, additional help is available. This site includes educational information, internet resources, personal experiences and support for owners of diabetic pets.
- American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) — The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health.
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) — This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine.
- American Heartworm Society — Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- West Nile Virus — This site is maintained by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, and has the latest information on the spread of West Nile Virus in the United States, as well as information on disease transmission, symptoms, etc.